Monday, April 25, 2011

Microwave Update & GAPS Rambling

Well, not only have I not used my microwave since my last post, apparently I also have not used blogger! It's been surprisingly fast to reheat meals on the stovetop or toaster oven, and I'm not missing the "convenience" of microwaving at all. I do use the kitchen timer function on the microwave though. That's pretty handy.

Currently I'm trying to spring clean the kitchen cabinets, clearing space for our next big project: the GAPS Diet. I think our entire family will benefit, and as stringent as it is, Husband and I are both on board. I'm so glad he's up for this; it's challenging sometimes to balance everything and get the food out (though I'm becoming MUCH faster at butchering chickens!), and it will be a relief not to prepare separate meals for him.

More about GAPS here: http://www.gapsdiet.com/

It's not about weight-loss or quick fixes. It's about healing the gut. This will be a 1.5 - 2 year (YEAR!) commitment, depending on how it goes for each of us. I'm going to stagger the starting points for everyone because of the probability of experiencing a rough die-off period when candida starts to die in the gut. When this yeast dies, it becomes a toxin in the body. Oy.

Usually I'm a "there's no time like the present!" sort of person, but for this, I'm putting it off until the end of the school year. I hate to say it, but I need to use up these other ingredients I have!! If we're not going to be using them for YEARS, then I want it all out of the house. Most of the stuff I need to use are already open (like the garbanzo bean flour), but some of it will just go in the trash. In the meantime, we're gluten-free and casein-free (for the most part. Husband and I still eat cheese every once in a while) and we're eating more of a traditional foods diet.

Once the house and my brain are re-organized, I hope to journal our GAPS journey. No promises though!

No comments:

Post a Comment