Sunday, July 3, 2011

Gluten-Free Casein-Free (and Starch-Free Sugar-Free Soy-Free) Diet and Autism

I had been thinking about the GFCF diet lately, not only because that's how we eat, but because the Hubs and I are keenly aware of any changes with our son.  When something feels "off", we ask questions like:  Why is he doing that?  Is he regressing?  Did he eat something he wasn't supposed to?  etc.

As I learned more about GAPS through reading, I started to cut grains out completely from our diet.  This means no rice and quinoa.  I downloaded a list of GAPS legal  and illegal foods, and it says no potatoes, yams, beans other than navy, green, and lima.  No starchy anything if we can help it, including no tapioca or any roots really.

Now that I'm learning about the science behind GAPS, I get it (well, I think I do). Some people say the GFCF diet didn't work for them.  Many didn't stick to it strictly, which you REALLY need to do if you're going to do it.  Many didn't give it enough time.  And many, including us initially, replaced gluten foods with their processed non-gluten counterparts.  Not good.  Not HORRIBLE (though there is MUCH more processed GF food out there now than there was a year ago).  When pondering the efficacy of eating GFCF, I think it should actually be the Gluten-Free Casein-Free Starch-Free Sugar-Free Soy-Free Real Foods Diet.  Really, I'd first suggest the GAPS Diet far above anything else since it at least has dairy (though not at first, and its introduction could be delayed for anyone with severe sensitivity).

In our GFCF jouney, we're just about at the GFCFSF^3 point, and while it's doable, I'm not sure how much progress we're making as far as healing our son's gut.  On to GAPS we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment