Saturday, July 2, 2011

GAPS

Gut And Psychology Syndrome



I finally purchased Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride.  My son was officially diagnosed as high functioning autistic back in November 2010, but it didn't take a diagnosis to realize some things weren't exactly the way they should be.  At the end of July 2010, we started the GFCF diet, which produced positive results.  We reintroduced dairy which resulted in mood swings and tantrums.  We've been GFCF since that reintroduction.

Mainly through my searches for GFCF recipes on the internet did I keep coming across something called the GAPS Diet.  Earlier this year I learned about the Weston A. Price Foundation and Nourishing Traditions. After obtaining that book, I wanted to learn more about traditional foods.  Turns out that quite a few traditional/real/whole food bloggers know about GAPS and its corresponding diet.



GAPS had helped so many with autoimmune disorders, such as eczema and allergies.  The most noteworthy (to me) dilemma it has helped is autism.  Whoa.  Sounds a little too good to be true.  What charlatan is professing to cure autism??  A neurologist.  Who studied nutrition.  Who has a son who was diagnosed as severely autistic.  A son who no longer displays autistic behaviors and is considered "completely recovered."  If my son responded to dietary changes (going GFCF), why couldn't we just try this?

I ordered the book last Friday along with the much-recommended-by-GAPS-Dieters GAPS Guide, and it's seriously like all the pieces of puzzle are falling into place.  I'm a science junkie, not that biology was my thing (chemistry was), and this stuff makes SENSE.  Our gut wall is lined with billions of beneficial bacteria.  These bacteria are not only there to aid digestion, but play an integral part of our immune system.  Too many changes in current food, medical practice, environment, etc. have compromised that wall of beneficial bacteria.  If one too many things cause a breach in that line of defense, the gut wall can no longer contain the toxins that need to be contained within the digestive system.  Those toxins leak out of the gut, enter the bloodstream, and end up in places they do not belong.  As a result?  The author suggests autism, ADD/ADHD, depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, allergies, learning disabilities, and more.  A connection between our guts and our psychology.

Reflecting on my own health, I didn't have skin issues when I was younger.  But when I was in college and not eating so great, I developed eczema.  Bummer.  Before reading GAPS, I realized certain foods triggered my eczema.  An allergic response that I didn't have before.  I have never had persimmons until a few years ago.  Yummy!!  Last year I bought some, and found I am now allergic!  Whaaa?  These are autoimmune responses.  I eat well now, but once the gut wall has been compromised, that doesn't matter until it's fixed.

And that's what the GAPS Diet is supposed to do.  Restore the good bacteria wall.  It's almost like a do-over.  There is an intro diet with easily digested foods, such as bone broth.  It is a heavily meat-based diet, but that meat needs to be pastured and preferably organic.  There are no grains, and few, if any, starches.  Dairy IS on the diet, but it must be cultured dairy.  No plain milk, but instead there is yogurt, kefir, butter, certain aged cheeses, and ghee.  Everything should be prepared at home as well, so there's a huge dedication factor to this diet.  Oh, and the diet only needs to happen for 1.5 - 3 years, depending on the condition of the gut.  After that, for some, gluten can be reintroduced, along with the starches!  All in moderation though, which is always great advice.  The style of eating post-GAPS is a traditional foods diet.

I've been slowly preparing for a while now, and we're looking to start at the end of this month.  It's just a coincidence that that is exactly a year from when we began the GFCF diet.  Maybe that's a good time for our family to implement dietary change!

gapsdiet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment