Monday, February 21, 2011

Easy Counter Activity: Part 1

This is an activity that can be made quickly, easily, and inexpensively. I've done a few versions of this, but this is the one I ended up laminating. And at the time, "laminating" involved an iron. I have since upgraded to an actual laminating machine. Oh... I love it so much...

Take 10 index cards, cheap circle stickers, and 0 - 9 number stickers (though you could write the numbers and draw the circles with a marker). You'll also need counters. In our case, we used a gf/cf equivalent to Cheerios. Count out 45 O's and place them in a container.




We did this a year ago or so. While Matthew understood the basic concept then, I was really impressed with how he did this time. To see if he could do it, I asked him to take 3 O's from the bowl (random example), and sure enough, he counted out exactly 3. We did this with a few of the other numbers and he did those correctly. At one point, I think it was for number 5, I watched him pick out 3 O's, and when he reached back in, he knew to get exactly 2 O's. He did this with a few other numbers as well. Addition!

In writing this post, I remembered how displeased I was/am with his cards. I'll make some new ones in hopefully the near future so that the cards have two columns for counters to better reveal the difference between odd and even numbers. That will be Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment