Thursday, February 24, 2011

Green Smoothies

"We're a smoothie family!" -Husband

Specifically, we're a
green smoothie family, but whatevs!

Here's my daughter holding her green smoothie in a shot glass. We're hard green smoothie drinkers, I guess. Okay, not really.

What's a green smoothie? Think of your run-of-the-mill smoothie with some sort of greens added. Usually the greens are leafy, but you can also use greens like broccoli. I haven't done that yet, but eventually.

There are websites and books dedicated to green smoothies, so I won't try to steal their thunder here. This is what we do:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of water
  • 1.5 cups freshly cut pineapple
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 1 - 2 oranges (peeled and seeded)
  • 1 - 2 cups leafy greens

Directions
:
Blend until smooth. Serve. Enjoy.




It's important to rotate greens for a few reasons, so we use a variety of greens. Spinach, kale, romaine, etc.

My kids ask for their green smoothies. Even my daughter who recently turned 1, points and vocalizes when she sees the blender full of green smoothie goodness! I gotta say, this has been the easiest way to get delicious vitamins, minerals, and fiber in my darling kiddos. My son sees me packing greens in the blender, so he knows they're there. Would he eat a spinach salad or cooked kale ? Hmmm... Probably not as likely as he would down this yummy drink!  Hopefully one day on the salad and cooked kale, though. :D


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment