Wednesday, February 23, 2011

GF Pizza Crust

We have been slowly re-introducing casein to our son, mostly in the form of cheese (grilled cheese sandwiches and pizza). I'm trying not to become too attached should we need to remove it again. Cheese and our family are like star-crossed lovers. Well, maybe not. That sounds weird.

Gluten-free dough is very different than wheat dough. I used to bake bread once a week and switching to gluten-free was quite the education. On the whole, I have found gluten-free dough to be challenging. It's usually extremely sticky or too wet. "Too wet" turned out to be a positive for this pizza crust, though.

I found this gluten-free pizza crust recipe on Food.com and I think the real appeal was that there was no kneading or rising. I only needed to toss everything into a bowl, mix, then dump that into a baking pan. Yes!

Yeast-Free Pizza Crust (Gluten-Free) from Food.com

Sorry, no pictures. It was gone before I could find my camera!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup rice flour
2/3 cup 2% low-fat milk (I used rice milk)
2 eggs (I only used 1 after reading comments)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Italian spices (I threw in some basil and oregano without measuring)
1 dash garlic powder (or salt) (I used no-salt Spike garlic seasoning)

Directions:
1. Mix gently. Do not over-beat (batter will be runny). (It's like pancake batter.)
2. Pour batter into greased pizza pan. (I used a 9 x 13 baking dish that doesn't ever need greasing.)
3. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes. (I baked it for 15.)
4. Remove from oven. Add sauce and your favorite toppings and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly brown. (Yup, did that.)

This recipe was easy, quick, and both my son and I enjoyed it! I particularly loved the addition of spices in the dough. It was a very nice touch! If I were to do something like a chicken bbq pizza, I'd omit or replace the spices. The texture was what one can expect from a gluten-free yeast-free recipe. Hard to tell if that's a compliment or not, but it is. It's nice to have pizza back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment